The Drive to Yorktown

This past week has been a whirlwind. My teaching semester ended last week. Over the weekend I drove my son Caleb up to Maine for his final performance, and then on Tuesday he started college at Berklee School of Music in Boston. My final ACA map arrived on Saturday and all the remaining pieces have fallen into place. Charlotte made me a special birthday celebration when I returned from Boston, and I got to spend a little time with #BlankaTheDog before heading off. Yesterday I had all my hair buzzed off. (Charlotte hates it!) I was definitely influenced by the fantastic cross country cycling blogs by Micheal Riscica, and I distinctly remember his helmet tan. Soon I’ll be sporting one of my own.

The rental car pick up and getting out of New York went smoothly. It cost a fortune, this being Memorial Day Weekend. I should have gotten the EZ Pass transponder. I shouldn’t have listened to Waze and stayed on I-95. Whatever. I made it to the hotel in Yorktown with enough time to UPS my bike rack to Andi & Justin in Oregon.

It’s beautiful here in the Tidewater area of Virginia. There’s so much American history here.

I got to hang with my starting partner Steve H http://steveacrossamerica.com/ and to compare notes. We’re meeting in the motel parking lot tomorrow morning at 7:45am. We’ll be meeting Stephen G at the Yorktown Victory Monument to begin the TransAm tomorrow around 8am.

My brand new crocs have left blisters on my feet, and I’m still not used to my bifocal sunglasses. But the weather forecast tomorrow looks good! Thanks Shari and Rick for taking care of Blanka. Thanks Matt and Naomi for watching my place. Thank you Charlotte for putting up with me.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table of Contents

Gear List

TransAm Day #1 Yorktown, VA to Glendale, VA