Shakedown Ride Day #2

Shakedown Ride Day #2
May 8, 2018
Harriman to Brooklyn - 54 Miles
Ride Time 4.21 Hours
Total 119 Miles
details at: http://cyclemeter.com/4b2d99e24f1383f2/Cycle-20180508-0858

I’m sitting in my bathtub in Brooklyn with full-on epson salts, eating tuna fish and drinking cold beer. My wet camping gear is hanging on the laundry line. I still have to pick up Blanka which will add 10 miles to my day. The shakedown ride was good! I learned that I’m well prepared and that I need many of the things I was unsure of. I’ve planned well, and can definitely handle the TransAm.

The birds and wildlife woke me up early. I didn’t have the best night’s sleep. I tried to imagine that I was in my own bed, but the reality fell far short. I got up before 8am and was packed in an hour. I paid for my campsite and bombed it down the hill to Stoney Point. I hung a right on 9W and saw how badly I had screwed up yesterday. My plan today was to stay on 9W all the way to the George Washington bridge. However, at Nyak I decided to veer off to my printed route and was soon atop a closed overpass. Stay on 9W! Actually I prefer NY bike 9, despite the meandering. The traffic is better and there are more cyclists.

The weather was sunny and in the 70’s. After two hours I stopped for a cappuccino in Piermont. I talked with two cyclists from the area who were out for a ride. After the coffee, winding down 9W, I thought that I had spotted the best wildlife prize of the summer- a giraffe! But it turned out to be painted concrete. Today I saw two squirrels, and a dead possum and a yellow bird on the shoulder. There were many cyclists on NY bike 9 training for the Gran Fondo. Cyclists traveling south flew by me.

NYC welcomed me back with a wicked head wind along the Hudson Greenway. I listened to the White Stripes, which eased things considerably. The campground cost $17.75. The granola, apples, and cliff bars were $25. This morning’s coffee and muffin were $9. Is this trip gonna cost me $60 a day? My arms and lower back are sunburnt. I doubt I’ll have epson salt baths and clean spacious drying areas available this summer.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table of Contents

Gear List

TransAm Day #1 Yorktown, VA to Glendale, VA