TransAm Day #42 Jenny Lake, WY - Grant Village, WY

TransAm Day #42
July 7, 2018
Jenny Lake, WY - Grant Village, WY
62 Miles
Ride Time 5:13 Hours
Tour Total  Miles 3032

Last night I slept in my tent in the Jenny Lake Campground hiker and biker area. It was paradise right there lakeside facing the enormous Grand Tetons. Kyle cooked me dinner from a dehydrated kit, and I enjoyed my last can of beer from the lodge. 

During our ride last night from the lodge to the campsite we spotted a bear cub trying to climb a tree on the side of the road. We almost crashed into each other in excitement. I dropped three cans of beer onto the pavement and one of them ruptured. I had to have a picture of the bear, but I was worried about it’s mother attacking me. I also didn’t want any of the ruptured beer to go to waste. It was pretty hilarious. 

The campsite at Jenny Lake was advertised full, but they have to allow cyclists and backpackers. We didn’t have to pay and were given the best spot in the entire park. I woke up early and was excited about the morning light. I went down to the water’s edge to photograph the majestic mountains. Besides me about thirty feet away was a brown bear cub putting it’s front paw into the water. It was unreal. 

Kyle and I had breakfast at the Signal Mountain Lodge. I ate the Trout Eggs Benedict. Afterwards, out front of the lodge, I met ACA board president Wally Werner who was the guide for the unsupported group. He’s a fantastic guy working hard to support a worthwhile mission. 

We met up with Sam, Steph, Max, and Luke whom had all camped at Signal Mountain. Yesterday I neglected to mention #Transgangsta Luke, from Chicago, who started his westbound tour in New York. 

Everyone was grumbling about having to pay $20 each to enter the park. A car with five passengers would be charged $35. In my opinion the admission should be based on weight. My total gross weight including bike, gear, and water is 300lbs. I’m happy to pay $20. An SUV with four passengers weighs roughly 5000lbs. They should pay $200. An ‘RV’ weighs 12,000lbs. They should pay $1000. 

I didn’t bathe yesterday or the day before. The water at Jenny Lake was too cold for me. I need to shave and do laundry. It was hard to leave the stunning Grand Tetons behind. We took our time getting on the road. I filled the time with some bike and self-maintenance. I slowly made my way around Jackson lake and left the Grand Tetons. I climbed up and over a pass to a large area recently affected by forest fire. Charred timber was still standing. Green grass was sprouting up between the dead trees. I haven’t use my Garmin in days. Unlike Virginia and Kentucky, there are very few roads out west. I’ve been following the same roads for days. The paper maps are sufficient. 

Kyle and I entered through the Yellowstone gate together, and we were each charged $20. I asked them how much two cyclists on a tandem would have to pay. The ranger replied $40. A car full of people with four bikes on the back only has to pay $35. I’m sure that our Dotard president would like to see it even more lopsided. Drill baby drill. Subsidize those petroleum companies. 

Yellowstone greeted us with a narrow shoulder. There was about eight inches to the right of the white line with a sharp drop into the ditch and no guard rails. We were honked at by two motorists, which infuriated us. If this had been New York, I would have caught up to them at the next light and shoved my bear spray straight up their ass. Don’t honk at cyclists ever. We can hear you from a mile away. I paid my $20 at the gate and have just as much right to be on this road as a motherfucking motorist. 

I followed the Lewis River up to yet another Continental Divide crossing. I climbed up alongside a deep canyon to the right. It was so stunning that I forgot to document my odometer reaching the 3000 mile mark. I stopped at two stunning waterfalls on the Lewis River. It climbs steeply to Lewis Lake on the Continental Divide. 

We reached Grant Village and headed straight to the lodge. Kyle and I both ordered two beers each to start, and bison burgers for our meal. There was no WiFi and my reading glasses were missing. 

We met up with Eileen and Scott, and bought beer and firewood for the campsite. I showered and did my laundry. Kyle built a fire and we made made s’mores. We met fellow cyclist Matt who lives locally and warned us about the bears. Despite his warning I once again forgot to sleep with my bear spray. 













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table of Contents

Gear List

TransAm Day #1 Yorktown, VA to Glendale, VA