TransAm Day #39 Jeffrey City, WY - Lander, WY

TransAm Day #39
July 3, 2018
Jeffrey City, WY - Lander, WY
60 Miles
Ride Time 4:55 Hours
Tour Total  Miles 2803

Last night when I got back from dinner, a cyclist was departing west towards Lander. The wind had stopped. The notion was tempting, but I was exhausted and it didn’t seem safe. Our plan was to get up early. The room we were sharing downstairs in the church was gross. It smelled bad so Eileen sprayed it heavily with air freshener. The shower, though, was warm and felt like heaven. 

Eileen’s alarm went off way too early this morning. Scott and Eileen made coffee and breakfast, but I wanted an early start. There were no services for the first fifty miles. I had two Cliff bars and water. Hundreds of mosquitoes attached themselves to me as I was trying to load my bike. I thought about the settlers on the Oregon trail. Those people were tough. 

It was cool out, but not freezing. I wore my sweater and leg warmers. The snowcapped Wind Rivers Mountain range was in the distance, as I continued west along the Chief Washakie trail. When I stopped to change my map page. there must have been fifty mosquitoes fastened to my legs. I noticed many tractor trailers today carrying drilling pipes. Wyoming has a longstanding mining industry. 

I took a break at Sweet Water station, which had been a stopping point for settlers on the Oregon trail. There was a Mormon visitors center and I talked with a gentleman there. The Mormans travelled from Iowa city to Salt Lake City, and this was one of their stops along the Sweetwater River. 

I listened to Tom Petty yesterday. Into the great wide open. Under them skies of blue. True that! The landscape here is amazing. I am drawn to the stratified bands of color on the hills. There are yellow, gray, green, and brown layers. Other hills have intense crimson rust color. Everything is in a state of erosion, either from the wind or water. I am surrounded by vast mountains, hills, crumbling bluffs, badlands, mud, and scrub. I am in awe of the beauty around me. It smells like sage brush. 

After 51 miles I stopped at the Twin Pines RV park for Gatorade. I had nine miles to go. Approaching Lander, there was a storm to the south. No wicked wind for me today. Lander is the second largest Wyoming town I've visited. The population is 7487. 

I found the city park where we would be spending the night, and then I went to Gannett Peak Sports bike shop. I was greeted with an ice cream sandwich and beer on tap. The gave me the WiFi password and were playing the White Stripes. I took a nap on their couch. I spent four hours there. 

Scott and Eileen showed up two hours later. They claimed they had left thirty minutes later than me. The wind was so bad they could only go two miles an hour. We hung out with the mechanics at the best bike shop in the world. Why don’t all bike shops have beer on tap? Scott and Eileen got new chains. My bike was fine. 

Kyle showed up, as well as Steph and Sam O. The mechanics showed us videos of the Fourth of July in Lander. For one day a year, citizens are allowed to drink alcohol on the streets in open containers, and blow things up. It sounded epic, so we’re taking the day off here tomorrow. 

We took showers at the swimming pool and then met up at the bar. Seven of us went to a rodeo, which I’m embarrassed to say was my first. It was fantastic! My favorite events were the bronco riding, roping, and bull riding. Afterwards the gang rode back into town together. It was a good day!













Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Table of Contents

Gear List

TransAm Day #1 Yorktown, VA to Glendale, VA