TransAm Day #38 Rawlins, WY - Jeffrey City, WY


TransAm Day #38
July 2, 2018
Rawlins, WY - Jeffrey City, WY
71 Miles
Ride Time 6:48 Hours
Tour Total  Miles 2743

Last night I pitched my tent under the pavilion at Washington Park in Rawlins. No more hammock for me until I’ve worked out my Kremmling experience. At 4:30am I heard what I thought was a leak in my air mattress. It was really loud though. Maybe it was the wind. Scott, who had cowboy camped on top of a picnic table was shrieking. The lawn sprinklers were spraying massive amounts of water into the pavilion. We're in a desert here, and we were getting soaked. I got up to secure my things. My shoes were drenched. Everything in my tent stayed warm and dry including my extension cord and electronics, so I climbed back in and tried to get some more sleep. Eileen’s one-person tent had holes in it, and was flooded. Scott crawled in with her to stay warm. None of us got much sleep, and in the morning we got off to a slow start. All of our gear needed to be sun dried on top of picnic tables. My shoes were completely wet, and I loathe riding in soggy footwear. 

Scott directed us to the McDonalds for breakfast. It was apparently the fastest, easiest option, and they had WiFi. There was road construction, almost as soon as the route began. They were rebuilding the gravel shoulders on highway 287. It was the shoulder from hell. There was a strong cross wind, and I was either being blown off the road or sucked into passing tractor trailers. It was absolutely harrowing. I was warned about the Kansas wind. Why didn't I hear anything about Wyoming? Even the locals know how dreadful it is.

The views were beautiful, but the riding conditions were miserable. I crossed the Continental Divide twice. Neither pass was anything like Hoosier. It makes sense that early settlers went west through this route. 

We all met up at Three Forks gas station in Muddy Gap for Gatorade and snacks. Previous to Muddy Gap the route had been northbound. At Muddy Gap we headed west directly into the wind. It was also the route towards Yellowstone, which meant campers and trailers. Six million people visit Yellowstone every season. That’s twelve times the Wyoming population. 

I was following the Chief Washakie Trail. There was a large rock formation that resembled a face profile. It could be seen for miles. I stopped at Split Rock to sign the book and learn more about the history. Split Rock is a prominent formation that can be seen for miles. It was a stopping place for settlers on the Oregon trail, 49ers heading towards the Gold Rush, Brigham Young and his Morman followers, and the Pony Express. The route follows the Sweetwater River Valley. 

The Pony Express relay station was of particular interest. Riders would average 10-15 mph, much better than what I was doing. Each rider rode seventy miles, exchanging horses at three relay stations. The seventy miles I rode almost killed me. 

I listened to music on my iPod, and tried to mask the roar of wind howling in my ears. The grass was all bent at a 45 degree angle. There was a severe storm to the south. Ahead in the distance I could see the Wind Rivers Mountain range to the west. The destination was Jeffrey City, population 53. We stayed at the Jeffrey City Community Church, along with the ACA unsupported group. 

We went to the Split Rock Cafe, the only restaurant for fifty miles in any direction. It was a weird experience, but the food was good. I got a report that Tucker and Val bailed on the TransAm in Boonesville KY. They had been towing their dog Butters in a trailer. I hope they’re ok. 












Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Table of Contents

Gear List

TransAm Day #1 Yorktown, VA to Glendale, VA