TransAm Day #5 Love, VA - Buchanan, VA

TransAm Day #5
May 30, 2018
Love, VA - Buchanan, VA 70 Miles
Ride Time 5:16 Hours
Tour Total 327 Miles
details at: https://cyclemeter.com/4b2d99e24f1383f2/Cycle-20180530-0855-03634

I regret to write that the #R2S team has come to an impasse. Because of a stomach virus, Steve H is staying behind in Love. Steve G and I are pushing forward without him.

There was heavy rain all night long. I finally had a good night’s sleep, probably because of the hot tub soak. I slept right through a bear trying to force it’s way into our cabin, which awoke both Steves. The bear was probably after Steve H’s two turkey sandwiches tucked away in the fridge. Steve H had left his bear spray on his bike out on the front porch. I slept through all the commotion.

There was a deluge at 5am reveille, so our 6am departure was pushed back to 8. The three of us shared stories around the breakfast table before #TeamRS headed off. Steve H gave Steve G a Kevlar spoke in case of more rim problems. I’m picking up one of these my next chance. It’s the only way to replace a broken spoke on the freewheel side without a bulky tools.

#R2S was a good team. Steve H is retired Air Force and a University Provost. Steve G is a PHD mechanical engineer and department chair at the Naval Academy in Annapolis. I’m a New York City artist and assistant adjunct professor. Each of us brought unique strengths and specialties to the effort. Each of us sported complimentary equipment including navigation devices, both digital and analog. Despite all just mentioned, we erred yesterday in our location in regards to the highest route elevation on the ridge. Our celebratory fist bumps were premature.

This morning’s 800’ climb began with rain. I donned my shoe covers, rain jacket, goggles, and helmet cover and I’m happy to report that it all worked well. Riding in the rain was good.

In a car you have buttons, knobs, and levers that direct air to your head, chest, or feet with warm or cold choices. On a bike it’s all about raising and lowering your zippers. The jersey zipper controls body heat. The rain jacket zipper keeps the cold rain out- or let’s it in. Like being in a car, it comes down to comfort. My shoe covers worked great. My feet stayed warm and dry.

The visibility ascending Mount Vesuvius was 40‘. The sun broke for a moment at the summit, and the surroundings were breathtaking. At one point I rode past a tiny orange chameleon. The air continues to smell like flowers.

The ride down Vesuvius is the steepest of the entire TransAm. It’s basically a 2500’ decent in 2 miles. Ridiculous. I’m glad I was heading west. While I was disappointed that it was raining, the road surface was slick, and I couldn’t hit 45 mph- the water kept my rubber brake pads from burning, and my wheel rims from heating up and blowing an inner tube. It all went well.

At the base of the descent, while photographing the Vesuvius town sign, I noticed a confederate flag in the adjacent yard. Welcome to the west side of the ridge. I’d been expecting this country. My buzz cut was a smart decision.

I located Gertie’s Country Store as a breakfast stop and headed straight there. Upon entering- how do I explain this? Let’s stop for a moment. I am a liberal. I am a totally fucking over the top leftist. Walking into Gertie’s with my Italian touring outfit- like some dude from Mars - um, I stood out. At least I was white. My buzz cut passed the code. I was friendly, and so was everyone else. I struck up a conversation with Rodney and his girlfriend Megan. Tammy fixed me the most fantastic breakfast thus far on the tour. There were stars and bars everywhere. I dared put a Rusty Crank sticker up near one. It freaked me out a little bit.

I had gotten way ahead of Steve, and I suspected he rode past Gertie’s. I later convinced him to download the ACA iPhone app, which is priceless. Rodney offered to drive down the road to look for Steve. I passed Rodney’s return on my way down to Lexington. No Steve.  Presumably he passed me while I was at Gertie’s.

Phone reception was spotty, but I eventually received a text from Steve. I was to meet him at the Palms restaurant in Lexington. Rain, drizzle, rain jacket, shoe covers- on, off- wet, cold, warm, etc.

Steve was finishing up his lunch when I arrived. The very friendly waitress gave me three ginormous glasses of pink lemonade, while I waited and checked my Internet service- #score! I left her a #RustyCrankC2C coin. Meanwhile Steve went to the bike shop to repair his wheel. Afterwards we toured the citadel and parade grounds at Virginia Military Institute.

It was getting late, and we were both tired. We had gotten off to a late start, but there was still more milage we needed to achieve for the day. I went several miles off route to visit Natural Bridge, which was fantastic! The steep hill and $8 entry fee was totally worth it. It was huge! Wow!

With more rain in the forecast, I called a motel in Buchanan that promised a swimming pool, hot tub, and restaurant. The hot tub was broken when we arrived, but two out of three ain’t bad.













Comments

  1. Great read! Could you share a photo of your coins and stickers?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Table of Contents

Gear List

TransAm Day #1 Yorktown, VA to Glendale, VA