TransAm Day #4 Charlottesville VA to Love VA

TransAm Day #4
May 29, 2018
Charlottesville, VA -  Love, VA 49 Miles
Ride Time 4:50 Hours
Tour Total 261 Miles
details at: https://cyclemeter.com/4b2d99e24f1383f2/Cycle-20180529-0637-79403

I have been worried about this day for five months. Today I climbed Afton mountain, which most cyclists say is the most difficult climb heading west on the TransAm. Granted, the Rockies have higher elevations- but the grades are much more gentle. The only comparison I could make to today is Monte Grappa and the Alpini in Northern Italy where I toured in 2008. Today was tough.

Serious climbing began 10 miles out of Charlottesville. Steve G had me worried about poison ivy along side the road and I was a little paranoid about it. Approaching White Hall I could start to see the mountains. The big ones were lurking behind the rising fog. It never rained last night and the humidity was near 100%. My jersey was soaked. The locals refer to this as air you can wear.

My first stop was Wyant’s Store in White Hall. It was a small local grocery, and the locals were extremely friendly. I signed the cyclist registry and was entertained by a budding comedian. They would have conversed with me for hours, and they didn’t want me to leave. I heard about a cyclist last week who stayed in White Hall for three days.

On one big long climb I passed an apple orchard. Phone service became spotty. At a gift shop coming into Afton I met Tucker and Val, who are riding the TransAm to Pueblo Colorado and then cutting west to San Francisco. They’re pulling trailers which include their dog Butters. Tucker and Val got married last week. I’ll share their blog address as soon as they contact me. Steve H and I both handed them our tour coins, lightening our loads before the big climb.

Out of Afton the grades became ridiculous. #GrannyGears A row of houses looked familiar, and I spotted a sign dedicated to June Curry, the famous cookie lady. June supported and hosted TransAm cyclists beginning with the original bikecentennial in 1976. She died in 2012, but it is still possible to enter her house. There’s still electricity and running water. The interior was covered floor to ceiling with thousands of cards and mementos from cyclists all over the world. I signed the guest book and contributed to the donation jar. I tagged the bathroom mirror adjacent to #duderobot

After the cookie lady’s house it was all uphill and extremely steep until I reached the Blue Ridge Parkway. I found myself focused on the elevation panel on my Garmin. The elevation profile literally showed me scaling a 3000’ cliff.

I feel bad for Tucker and Val, and wonder if they made it any further than Afton. The air became noticeably cooler as I made it up into the mountains. At one point a large groundhog waddled across the road.

I summited at the 3200‘ overlook near Humpback Rock. There were two finely dressed Eastern European gentlemen whom had arrived in separate cars. One was nervously smoking cigarettes. Steve G and I both agreed that it seemed a little Mafia. The younger man approached us and was very friendly. We learned they were from Latvia. He offered to take our photos and then told us about Crater Lake Oregon. They were here at this remote spot for a wedding. The rest of the party began arriving as we rolled out.

The plan was to stay up on the Blue Ridge Parkway for the night. There’s still one more climb. I knew of a cabin rental place that offered camping in a hamlet called Love. Heavy rain was expected and insects were eating us alive, so we accepted the clerks reasonable cabin offer that included a hot tub.  He made us grilled cheese sandwiches and sold me bottles of beer. We are miles from anything, and he closed up at 5pm.

So yes! I conquered Afton! There’s still an 800’ climb tomorrow to put me at the top of Vesuvius, but for the most part, the most difficult grades are behind me. Steve H is still suffering from stomach flu. Steve G broke a rear spoke on the flywheel side which he can’t repair. As far as I can tell, food, accommodations, services, and perhaps even phone service are going to be sparse for the next week until I reach Berea. I am almost across TransAm map #12!








Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Table of Contents

Gear List

TransAm Day #1 Yorktown, VA to Glendale, VA