Gear List Review

BIKE

• Surly Long Haul Trucker 64cm frame 700mm wheels
This is the best touring bike period. I know of no one who had problems on a Surly. Definitely only travel on 700mm or 26” wheels, because they are common and easily replaced.

• DT SWISS TK540 36H 7 rear  rim w/ M99 spokes
It was smart to have a specially built rear wheel. My fully loaded weight was 90lbs. including bike and water. I weigh 200lbs. I had no problems whatsoever.

• modified 11-34 cassette
This was smart. I rarely used the lowest gear, even on Afton Mt.

• modified 22-32-44 chain ring
My bike shop installed a sub-standard model which warped a little bit. The Appalachians will stress your transmission for sure.

• Brooks B67 Saddle
I installed a new saddle right before I left, which wasn’t very smart but its now completely broken in. I would never go with anything but a Brooks. Once I got it’s angle correctly adjusted, it was very comfortable.

• Continental Contact II Reflex Bike Tires
I had to replace my rear tire in Breckenridge. The front tire was rotated to the back and made it all 4605 miles.

• Shimano PD-M324 dual sided pedals
This was a smart way to go. Sometimes I would unclip to give my feet a rest. In the evening to go out I would pedal in my crocs.

• Tubus Cargo Evo Rear Rack
Fantastic rack. Lightweight and strong.

• Tubus Tara Front Rack
Worked well with my Ortliebs. My jury-rigged light bracket worked well.

• Planet Bike Cascadia bike fenders - 700c x 45mm
I barely noticed they were there, except when the front fender would vibrate in the wind. I only had a couple of rain days, and was happy to not to be sprayed. My front fender support rods got a little bent out of shape.

• Bontrager gel cork Handlebar tape
This was pretty comfortable, but the tape stretched and came undone a lot and I had to re-wrap my bars and use electrical tape.

• 3 Water Bottle Cages
The top one got bent during a wipe out.

• Lezyne Air pump mount
It was smart to have the pump mounted to the frame. Digging through panniers during a flat is a pain.

• CatEye - Volt 300 Rechargeable Headlight
 (mounted to front rack with with hose clamps and 1” wooden dowel)
This worked well, although better higher lumen versions are now available. I only used it in the early morning, or during rain or fog to save batteries.

• CatEye  Rear LED Taillight Lamp
 (mounted to rear rack with Planet Bike Tail Light Rack Bracket)
This was a piece of crap. The battery compartment lid fell off and I lost my batteries. I recommend all USB rechargeable lights. I only used a taillight in the early morning, or during rain or fog to save batteries.

• Kryptonite KryptoFlex 1018 Combo Cable Lock
This was a smart lock to use. Fellow cyclists shared our combos, to allow early departures, etc. when locking our bikes together. I locked my bike every night no matter where I was. I rarely locked my bike in front of restaurants or stores when it was fully loaded.

• Bell Helmet (yellow)
It worked fine, and the top was bleached white by the end of the trip.

• Blackburn Helmet Mirror
I finally got used to it, and it came in handy. It only broke off once, and I’m glad that I brought epoxy to reattach it.


TOOLS & SPARE PARTS

• 2 Rema Tip Top patch kits
I only had one flat!

• Park Tools Emergency Tire Boot
I didn’t need this, but felt secure having it.

• 2 EVO 700C x 35-43c (27 x 1-3/8) presta valve 48mm tubes
I only had one flat! Still- I heard stories, and was glad to carry these.

• gear/chain cleaning brush
Why did I buy this? I threw it away. Bring plenty of rags instead.

• 4 Spare brake pads
I didn’t use a single one.

• 1 Spare rear gear cable
I didn’t need this, but I’m glad that I brought it.

• 1 Spare rear brake cable
I didn’t need this, but I’m glad that I brought it.

• 8 Spare spokes
I didn’t break a single spoke, and didn’t need these. Many companions had broken spokes on the cassette side, so from now on I will never travel without a kevlar spoke.

• 3 tire levers
Plastic and lightweight. I only had one flat, and also used it to rotate my tires.

• Lezyne HP Micro Floor Drive Mini Air Pump
This is a fantastic pump. Highly recommended.

• Park IB-2 mini fold up hex wrench
This is a fantastic little tool.

• Leatherman (screwdriver, pliers, knife)
I used the scissors and knife quite a bit.

• crescent wrench
  I only used to adjust my fenders.

• 2 Presta Schrader converters
My pump has attachments for both Presta and Schrader valves. I needed the converters only at gas station pumps.

• 6 Zip ties
I definitely needed these when my pannier clips broke.

• spoke wrench #2
I never needed this, but was glad to have it.

• Brooks Saddle Wrench
I never used this.

• saddle security lock / key
I had this removed in Berea. Saddle security is only necessary in NYC.

• 4 fl. oz. Prolink chain lube
This stuff leaked all over my stuff. Next time I’ll bring Tri-Flow- for the oval bottle shape and smaller size of the bottle.

• .02 fl. oz. Loctite
I never used this.

• .03 fl. oz. crazy glue
I used this to repair my helmet mirror.

• 1/8 roll duct tape smashed
This definitely came in handy.

• 1/8 roll electrical tape smashed
I used this for many repairs, especially my handlebar tape.

• rack screws & bolts
I didn’t need any of these, but would never travel without them.

• fender screws & bolts
I didn’t need any of these, but would never travel without them.

• Misc bolts, spacers
I didn’t need any of these, but would never travel without them.

• 6 rags
I needed many many more for cleaning my chain.

• 8 pair disposable gloves
I didn’t need so many pairs.

• sponge
I only used this once, and then I threw it away.

• 1oz. Gojo/ Ajax - grease cleaner
This wasn’t necessary. Hands can be cleaned by wiping them in the grass.

• 3.25 liter Plastic ‘Bread Box’
I was glad to have this food storage box, but the two cans of tuna, Cliff bars, and bag of granola went cross country unopened.

• Mesh Stuff Sack for dirty clothes
I wish that I had brought a larger bag with a bigger knit. I needed straps to fasten this to my rear cargo bag to create my ‘rolling clothes drier’.

• sewing kit
I used this several times to repair various things.

• 4 spare hair ties
These came in handy.

• Therm-a-rest repair kit
Fortunately, I never needed this.

• tent repair kit
I never needed this, but my companions had leaky tents.

• extra Garmin fasteners
I never needed these.

• extra Shimano SPD Cleat Set SM-SH51
I didn’t need these, but a companion lost a cleat screw.

• cycling shoes tread inserts
These came in handy after the tour.

• 12” bailing wire
I didn’t need this, but it was smart to have.


MAPS

• ACA paper maps
By far my favorite means of navigation.

• ACA digital maps
These were for my Garmin, which was troublesome at times. GPS is more useful in the east than out west where there are fewer roads. I only got lost twice.

• CatEye Urban Wireless Cycle Computer
I didn’t like having to wake it up every day, and one time I forgot. I wish I had one that turned itself on automatically.

• Garmin Edge Touring Basic Navigator
This thing had a mind of it’s own and had a difficult learning curve. It would often quit. I finally stopped using it out west. It consumed a lot of power, and a charge couldn’t last more than six hours.

• ACA Bicycle Route Navigator iPhone app
I highly recommend getting these digital maps. They are up to date and help pinpoint locations and provide phone numbers at your fingertips. It’s very useful for calculating milage and elevations.

• Cyclemeter iPhone app
This might not the most accurate GPS, but I never had a problem with it. It gave me reliable maps and stats for every day of the tour.


TECH

• iPhone 6S
I kept it in my back jersey pocket and used it frequently for navigation, photos, and blogging. It was worthless in the rain, when the screen couldn’t read my fingertips. Siri dictation couldn’t understand me in the wind. Companions’ phones overheated in the sun when using the handlebar mount.

• iPod Nano
Music was useful for dealing with those head winds in Kansas and Wyoming.

• 20000mAh Portable Charger
I depended on this and it worked great. I kept it in my handlebar bag, because my phone charge could only last about five hours.

• 4 port USB charger
Absolutely the way to go (often in conjunction with an extension cord). I could charge all my devices at once.

• 6 USB cables (iPhone / iPod / Portable Charger / Garmin / Headlight / Headlamp)
Fortunately, I had redundancy in the types of charging cords. Everything worked well.

• 2 pair ear buds
I only needed one pair. Years ago on another tour I broke one, therefore the redundancy.


LUGGAGE

• Ortlieb Back Roller Classic Panniers
These are fantastic bags, but the clips broke in an accident I had with another cyclist. I got a hole in the bottom of the bag that skidded across the pavement.

• Ortlieb Front Roller Classic Panniers
These are fantastic bags, but the clips broke in an accident I had with another cyclist. I got a hole in the bottom of the bag that skidded across the pavement.

• Ortlieb Rack Pack Bag
I strapped it to the rear rack with a bungie cord.

• Ortlieb Ultimate6 Pro M Handlebar Bag
Fantastic choice. It never left my side. I called it my football. It had all my nuclear codes. (my money, wallet, phone, glasses, GPS, charger, etc)

• Ortlieb Mapcase
It was kind of a pain to slide maps in and out of, but I like being able to have a few map panels in front of me at a time.

• Brooks Saddles Challenge Tool Bag
It was good to have tire changing tools and a rag easily accessible. Digging through panniers is a pain.


CAMPING

• MSR Hubba NX Solo 1-Person Tent
One of the tent poles broke towards the end of the tour. I had to replace it at REI with a two-person tent (MSR HubbaHubba) which has more room inside. I was disappointed with the pole break. This tent is expensive, and I only used it 24 times before it broke.

• MSR Hubba NX Solo Footprint
This worked well. I like how it clips to the tent corners.

• Tyvex ground cover
This was redundant, but several of my companions got holes in the bottoms of their tents, which would leak.

• ENO Sub6 Hammock
I used this a lot until the sprinkle incident in Kremmling. I could always find a place to hang it- picnic house columns, swing sets, etc.

• ENO Guardian Bug Net SL
This worked well. I liked the option of hanging it, but not having to use it. It provided warmth as well.

• ENO Helios Hammock Suspension System
Compact, lightweight, and easy to use.

• Feathered Friends Swallow - NANO 20 Degree Down Sleeping Bag (Long)
This was the right bag to bring.

• Cocoon Silk Mummy Liner Sleeping bag liner
It got filthy and I washed it in Missoula. It was a good decision to bring this.

• Therm-a-rest Neoair XLite Sleeping Pad
It was a pain to inflate every evening, but it offered plenty of cushioning, and I’m glad that I chose this model.

• NEMO Fillo Backpacking Pillow
This was my first time traveling with a blow up pillow. I liked it and will never go back to dirty clothes in a stuff sack.


CLOTHING

• Pearl Izumi X-Alp Journey Shoes w/ SPD Cleats
I had many accidents because I couldn’t unclip fast enough, but the power they gave me made them worth it. Shoes often pinch my toes after a long day, and these were better than I expected.

• 2 pair Pearl Izumi Pursuit Bike Shorts
These worked well.

• blue H&M Shorts to wear over bike shorts
I never wore them over my shorts, and used them as off-road clothing.

• Giordana Team Brooklyn short sleeve jersey
  It was smart to wear something that showed where I was from.

• Adventure Cycling Association TransAmerica short sleeve Jersey
Support Adventure Cycling and buy their products!

• Adventure Cycling Association Long Sleeve Jersey
I only used this once, on the coldest day in Wyoming.

• Asics 87% Polyester Men’s Running Tights
I only used these once or twice and believe I could have gotten away without them.

• Lowe Alpine DryFlo® Mens Long Sleeve shirt
I only used this once or twice and believe I could have gotten away without it.

• Showers Pass Syncline rain jacket
This jacket was fantastic for both rain and cold.

• Showers Pass Men’s Transit rain pants
I only used these a few times, but they worked well.

• Specialized Deflect™ Comp Shoe Covers
These worked really well. I highly recommend them. The original Pearl Izumi pair that I got from REI didn’t even last a day.

• Pearl Izumi - Ride Elite Thermal Arm Warmer Large yellow
I never used these.

• Pearl Izumi Ride Elite Thermal Leg Warmer Large black
These were fantastic. Wear them under your shorts on your thighs so they don’t fall down

• Tom Sachs NIKECraft: Marsfly (windbreaker) Jacket
I’m not sure I needed this.

• Bouré cycling sweater
I used this all the time.

• Uniqlo Mens Ultra Light Down Vest
I’m not sure I needed this.

• 1 pair Specialized knit half finger cycling gloves
I can’t cycle without these - the gel models.

• 1 pair Canondale full finger cycling gloves
I only used these a few time in extreme cold.

• 1 pair Point 6 lifestyle medium crew Men's XL
These were unnecessary

• 2 pair Point6 Hiking Essential Medium Mini Crew Socks Men's XL
I should have purchase 3 pairs.

• 4 pairs underwear Icebreaker Anatomica Boxer Briefs with Fly - Men's L
I need to replace all my underwear at home with these. They’re so comfortable! I lost two pair along the road, because I didn’t recognize them inside out.

• Helmet cover
I only used this a few times during heavy rain.

• baclava
I needed this a few times when it was freezing.

• Columbia Silver Ridge Convertible Pants
I only used these a few times.

• 2 short sleeve buttoned cotton shirts
I wore these in the evening and for off-days.

• Swim suit
This came in handy.

• 1 pair Crocs
  These things gave me a lot of blisters. They bent out of shape in the panniers which made matters worse. I might go with Tivas next time.


MISC

• ‘Undaunted Courage’ - Lewis and Clark, Stephen Ambrose
I never had the time or energy to read while touring. I enjoyed this at the end of the trip after I had hauled it across the continent.

• Hyperlite Mountain Gear Minimalist Wallet
This was a last minute decision, and a smart choice. It’s lightweight and compact.

• $1000 cash
The perfect amount of cash to bring. That said, there are ATMs everywhere, and I could use a credit card almost anywhere I went.

• 300 RustyCrankc2c business cards
Business cards are smart to bring, but I brought way too many. 50 would have been sufficient.

• 300 RustyCrankc2c stickers
I’m so glad that I did this. Next time I would make different sizes and use bright colors.

• 3 dozen RustyCrankc2c commemorative coins
I’m glad that I did this.

• RustyCrankc2c ink stamp / ink pad
I stamped every single guestbook along the route. It was also useful for post cards.

• 100 post card stamps
I love sending post cards, and used every single one.

• ziplock bags
Everything was sealed in ziplock bags. The stupid chain oil and bug spray were in many many zip lock bags, but they still leaked.

• 1 pair Clic reading glasses
An absolute must for setting up camp, working on the bike, or writing the blog.

• 1 pair Dual Eyewear Bifocal Reading Sunglasses
These were indispensable.

• 1 pair Galeton Bifocal Clear Lens Glasses
Good for early morning, rain, or after I lost my reading glasses.

• Lens Cloth
Absolutely necessary.

• Halt! dog repellent
I was chased by over thirty dogs, especially in Kentucky. I definitely used this stuff, and would never tour without it. I was given bear spray for out west, which I never used, and later passed on to another cyclist.

• 18’ laundry line, 15 clips
This worked very well, and I would never travel without it.

• 13 tide travel packets
Not nearly enough detergent for an entire tour, but good once a week in conjunction with almost daily washing using hand soap.

• drain stopper for washing
I never used this. Completely unnecessary.

• 20 foot electrical cord
I was surprised how many times I used this- once even to hang a bear bag. I like having my charging station near me in sight. There’s nothing better than having electric service in your tent, or a work station in your hammock.

• 3 Extra AA batteries (rear light)
I got rid of these after the light failed. I recommend using all USB rechargeable devices.

• Extra Helmet Mirror
This was unnecessary. The mirror was stronger that I imagined. Spares can be purchased at almost any bike store.

• Bungee cord
This is what I used to strap my cargo bag to the rear rack.

• Brooks Saddle Cover
I would put this on my saddle every evening.

• Petzl Tikkina 150 lumen headlamp
This lamp was indispensable. I never needed to recharge it.

• yoga tape > audio file
I never had the time or energy to do yoga.

• 3 Water Bottles
Three 1 liter was the magic number for me. Others cyclists brought way more hydration capacity, but I’m a camel. I only ran out of water a few times. Next time I would get bottles that fit more snuggly into my cages. Mine fell out a few times going over bumps.

• Spork (spoon)
I only needed this a few times. Most stores have plastic spoons and forks.

• lighter
For starting campfires to cook s’mores!

• pen
I brought two ball point pens and one sharpie.


TOILETRIES

• B-12 (90 day supply)

• vitamin D (90 day supply)

• soap bar / plastic container
Much better than a bottle of Dr. Bronners.

• toilet paper
half a roll smashed. I needed this a few times

• Deodorant

• Disposable Razor (1)
I got a replacement in Dillon, MT

• 2 oz. travel size shaving cream
This made it the entire trip!

• Toothbrush, Toothpaste & Floss
I had to buy more toothpaste and floss. The stupid cover kept falling of the toothbrush.

• 1 pair Ear plugs
I never used these.

• Nail Clippers
Definitely came in handy.

• towel
This was a small sized travel towel which packed down.

• mouthguard

• .5 oz Lip Balm
My stuff didn’t work well in the sun out west in high altitudes, where I got blistered and burned and needed SPF lip balm.

• 3.4 fl. oz Ben’s 100 Deet
This stuff leaked all over my stuff, and I will never travel with it again. For now on I will bring an aerosol can of Off. F pump sprays.

• Knee brace
I never needed this.

• Small scissors
I got rid of these and used the pair on my Leatherman.

• tweezers
I never used these, but was glad to have them.

• (2) bandanas
I only used one.

• 100 200mg. ibuprofen tablets
I took two every morning. I bought another bottle half way through the trip.

• 8 fl. oz. Chamois butter
I went through half a tube. The second half of the trip I barely used it.

• 8 fl. oz. Sunscreen SPF 30
I used one and a half containers.

• q-tips
I brought 50 and only used 4.

• .5 oz. rubbing alcohol
I never used this.

• 4 pcs. moleskin
I never used this.

• (2) 2 .7 oz. tubes After Bite® Outdoor
I never used these.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table of Contents

Gear List

TransAm Day #1 Yorktown, VA to Glendale, VA