Off Day - Missoula

Off Day - Missoula 

I slept well last night in my dirty blood-stained sleeping bag liner on Warm Showers host Bruce’s floor besides the grand piano. This morning I met two Californian TransAm east-bounders whom I shared the floor with, although I can’t remember their names. I gave them the bear spray TransAm east-bounder Jeff had handed me in Kansas. I love how the canister keeps being shuffled back and forth across the Rockies like a relay baton. 

I met TransAm west-bounders John and Beth from Librarians on Bikes librariansonbikes.com. We’ve been riding at the same pace for several days, but they start much earlier in the morning. They've recognized my bike in front of numerous restaurants and breweries, and they were the couple I had heard at the American Legion park in Wisdom.

I had sumptuous breakfast tacos at the Buttercup Cafe, which was an adorable place. I spent hours compiling and editing yesterday’s journal over refills of coffee. Afterwards I went for a ride around Missoula. This town is a bike paradise. There are bike lanes everywhere, separated bike lanes, and special trails for cyclists. There’s a public art initiative to paint beautiful murals on all the ugly traffic control boxes at intersections. I’m gonna to bug my friend Wendy at NYC DOT to do this in New York. I’m upset about the twenty-something Hoosier Pass postcards that I mailed from Breckenridge. Not a single friend has received theirs. Great job there receptionist at the Village Resort. I can’t wait for their next eSurvey that I receive. 

I rode through the park alongside the Clark Fork River. Locals jump from the bridges, swim, tube, and surf there. Missoula is liberal and quirky, and unlike the rest of Montana. I noticed a large homeless population here. It was great to ride around on an unloaded bike. That said, I realized that I’m no longer used to riding in city traffic. I found myself having to rely on Google maps to navigate. I made mistakes, got confused, and felt uneasy making U-turns and negotiating traffic. It was tricky, and definitely not like being out on the open road. I went to the Missoula Art Museum for some culture. I saw an exhibition that addressed the Keystone Pipeline, and a Native American Abstraction show. 

I stopped by the KettleHouse brewery for a Bong Water hemp ale. Cannibis dispensaries exist here but it’s prescription based. My beer had 0% TCH. I was given a little slip of paper with three little beer glass icons, which were marked off one at a time with my orders. My assumption was unfortunately incorrect. Three marked beers meant my limit, and not a complimentary pint. 

I met Scott and Eileen at Plonk for happy hour Pink Panthers. We then went for Indian food at Masala. This evening we went to the Roxy to see the movie ‘Won’t you be my neighbor’. The theater sells cans of Cold Smoke ale and popcorn in metal bowls. It’s amazing how many progressives, punks, and freaks watched Mr. Rogers back in the day. I rejected the film’s simplistic and cynical premise, and hold hope for the post 9-11 era. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table of Contents

Gear List

TransAm Day #1 Yorktown, VA to Glendale, VA