TransAm Day #8 Wytheville, VA - Damascus, VA

TransAm Day #8
June 2, 2018
Wytheville, VA - Damascus, VA
62 Miles
Ride Time 5:07 Hours
Tour Total 519 Miles
details at: https://cyclemeter.com/4b2d99e24f1383f2/Cycle-20180602-0822-80136

I feel like a parasite now whenever I walk into a restaurant. The first thing I look for is an outlet to sink my prongs into. Many followers have asked how I’m keeping my phone charged. I’ve got a power pack. It’s a tricky challenge keeping my phone, GPS, power pack, and lights charged. This morning, under the drippy kitchen sink alongside the brooms and mop bucket my hungry devices jostled for ports like piglets clinging to their mama’s teets. Thank you Grayson’s restaurant in Wytheville! I hope my friendly waitress enjoys her beach vacation next week.

The last hill riding out of Wytheville was ridiculous steep, Steve got off his bike and walked it. He had met his match. He later said that it was too early in the morning for such a steep climb. While chugging up it I noticed blooming poppies alongside the road. Out on Lee Highway, State Route 11, the grades were much more gentle- the kind I’m expecting out west in the Rockies. The highway shared a flat with I-81. I rode much of the day on my large chain ring. The grades were fun and I enjoy going up them. Oh, and wherever there’s a dude robot sticker there’s a rusty crank.

I felt good this morning, because of the hot tub and swimming last night, and the little bit of yoga I did this morning. I’ve invented a new kind of yoga called pack yoga. I fold and pack my equipment while holding yoga poses. It was nice not having to pack wet gear this morning.

I’ve been squirreling away way too much food. My rear right pannier is now all nourishment. I’ve still got two bags of Charlotte’s granola. I have Cliff bars, energy bars, pretzels, nuts, apples and a chocolate bar. I need to stop being such a hoarder. It doesn’t suit this lifestyle.

At my lunch stop I picked up dental floss and a traveler’s sized toothpaste. Soon I’m going to need more sunscreen. Many followers have asked about tan lines. My forearms are dark, and the strongest lines are on my wrists where my gloves end. It’s not sexy, but it’s striking. I got my second road rash and first tube burn today. After the drizzle I stopped to put on my sunglasses. I had my left foot on the pavement, but my weight shifted to the right. My right shoe was still clipped in to the pedal. I went over and the contents of my handle bar bag spilled all over the roadway.

I stopped and photographed a large snapping turtle the size of my foot. I didn’t get bit, but he put out some defensive moves.

It was a cloudy day with a lot of headwinds, sometimes strong. Down off the second ridge I smelled campfire smoke. I flew 32 miles an hour, but the sunglass incident led me to be cautious. I spaced out documenting 500 miles on the odometer because I was on a downhill. The 500 mile mark isn’t that much of a big deal anyway.

Fuck Sugar Grove VA and their racist stars and bars everywhere. It’s like hanging a banner out in front of your house that says “I’m a stupid racist”. There are a lot of stupid racist people in Sugar Grove.

I intentionally went off course twice today. Steve and I did the Virginia creeper trail. I missed the trail head and didn’t do the first part. Steve got caught in a rainstorm and muddied himself considerably. The trail is popular with tourists who hire vans that bring their bikes to the top, unlike those who ride up the mountain with a full load. I rode along a roaring brook, and it was both thrilling and chilly.

My second detour was three miles south down State Road 91 to cross the Tennessee border, the second state of the tour.

We’re staying at the Woodchuck hostel in Damascus, and are camping out back near the teepee. It’s popular with backpackers. This town has a nice vibe.

Steve and I went out with his brother’s friend Peyton, an architect from Abington VA, who picked us up at the hostel and drove us to the Damascus Old Mill Inn. When we got back we were reunited with Steve H! #TeamR2S is back!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table of Contents

Gear List

TransAm Day #1 Yorktown, VA to Glendale, VA